5 Canyons Bike Challenge Event Details
What’s in it for me?
– Fully stocked aid stations
– Event drawstring backpack
– Specialized water bottle
– Event t-shirt*
– Finisher’s medal*
– $25 credit at the 5 Canyons Silent Auction
– $10 food credit at the 5 Canyons Festival
– Discounted lodging
– Serious bragging rights
– Good karma!
Riders may also purchase the coveted 5 Canyons jersey, custom-made in Italy. You may order yours, along with other 5 Canyons and Wheels of Justice merchandise by visiting our team store on DNA Cycling.
*Those who register after August 15, 2021, will receive the t-shirt and finisher’s medal based on availability.
Packet Pickup, Carb-load, and Silent Auction at the 5 Canyons Festival
Packets with all your swag and event credentials will be available for pickup at the 5 Canyons Festival on Friday, September 24th at the Holladay Village Plaza (corner of Murray-Holladay Rd. and Holladay Blvd.) from 5:00 to 7:00 PM. Great food, music, and merchandise will be available. You may use your $10 food credit here.
We will also have a silent auction for a number of very cool items, including ski passes, partner race entries, backpacks, restaurant gift cards, and more. All items will be distributed at the packet pickup. You may use your $25 silent auction credit here.
Plenty of parking is available on the streets adjacent to the Plaza, in Harmon’s parking lot across the street from the Plaza, in the parking terrace behind the Plaza, and in the Holladay Village shopping center parking lot (4695 Holladay Blvd.) and the Walgreens parking lot (4714 Holladay Blvd.), both just a block away.
You can check out a map of the ride on Strava. Turn-by-turn directions are provided at the bottom of this page.
You can also check out a 3D animation of the ride on Relive.
The start line is in front of the Sandy Black Bear Diner. There is plenty of parking in the area.
The finish line will be at the Capitol Building. We will have chocolate milk, drinks, and various snacks for you. There will also be food trucks, so your family can gorge out while they wait for you to attain glory. There is plenty of parking available in and around the Capitol complex.
You may fuel up at four fully stocked aid stations at the mouths of the last four canyons. Each aid station will be equipped with ice water, EFS drink mix (courtesy of First Endurance), Probars (courtesy of PROBAR), and a host of other snacks. The Millcreek aid station will also have turkey sandwiches (courtesy of Jimmy John’s) and bagels (courtesy of The Bagel Project). Please access these aid stations only while going up the canyons to avoid your having to cross roads against traffic.
No Road Closures
No streets will be closed for the ride. Each rider is expected to obey all traffic laws. THIS IS NOT A RACE. ALL RIDERS MUST DESCEND CANYONS SAFELY, PARTICULARLY CITY CREEK CANYON, WHERE RUNNERS, PEDESTRIANS, AND UPHILL CYCLISTS WILL BE ON THE VERY NARROW ROAD.
There are no cutoff times; however, if you get to any of the aid stations or the finish line unusually late, there may not be anyone there. The law prohibits riding at night without proper lighting. We advise that you not ride at night under any circumstances.
There are three discounted lodging options for you to choose from:
Hyatt House Cottonwood, 3090 E. 6200 S., Holladay, is located just off of the course, seven minutes from the packet pickup, 12 minutes from the start line, and 20 minutes from the finish line. Rooms are available for $89 a night and include complimentary breakfast, self-parking, and Wi-Fi. You may book online until August 24th by clicking here. You may also call 1-800-993-4751 and ask to book rate code: G-5CAN. After the 24th, you may book based on availability by calling the hotel directly at 801.890.1285.
University Guest House and Conference Center, 110 S. Fort Douglas Blvd., Salt Lake City, is located right on the course, fifteen minutes from the packet pickup, 23 minutes from the start line, and fourteen minutes from the finish line. Rooms are available for $89 a night and include complimentary self-parking and Wi-Fi. You may book online until August 24th by clicking here. After the 24th, you may book based on availability by calling the hotel directly at 801.587.1000 and mentioning 5 Canyons.
Salt Lake Marriott Hotel Downtown at City Creek, 75 S. West Temple, Salt Lake City, is located just off of the course, 19 minutes from the packet pickup, 24 minutes from the start line, and four minutes from the finish line. Rooms are available for $89 a night and include complimentary self-parking and Wi-Fi. You may book online until September 3rd by clicking here. After the 3rd, you may book based on availability.
The course will follow the route posted on Strava. It ascends all five canyons as follows:
1. Start at the Black Bear Diner in Sandy and climb up 9400 South as it turns into Little Cottonwood Canyon Road and up to the top of Alta. Circle around the toll booth at the top of the canyon and descend the canyon. Continue to follow the road as it transitions into Wasatch Blvd. toward Big Cottonwood Canyon. Before descending the hill to the light at the mouth of the canyon, turn right and then immediately left onto Prospector Drive. (Watch for cars coming down the hill on Prospector.) Turn left onto Mine Shaft Road and then right onto Big Cottonwood Canyon Road.
2. Climb Big Cottonwood Canyon Road to the top. Loop around the Brighton parking lot and head back down the canyon. Turn right onto Wasatch Blvd. and follow the road (which requires a right-hand turn at the first light to stay on Wasatch) to Millcreek Canyon Road.
3. Climb Millcreek Canyon Road to the top. Descend the canyon and then turn right onto Millcreek Road (the four-way stop at the bottom of the canyon). Follow Millcreek Road until it intersects Wasatch Blvd. and then turn right to follow Wasatch (over the bike bridge spanning Parley’s Canyon, onto Foothill Blvd. for about 200 yards, right onto Thunderbird Drive for about 20 yards, and then left back onto Wasatch) to Emigration Canyon Road.
4. Climb Emigration Canyon Road to the top (Little Mountain). Descend the canyon and continue as the road transitions to Sunnyside Ave. Take the first right onto Arapeen Drive into Research Park. Take the first right onto Chipeta Way. As Chipeta Way exits Research Park into Fort Douglas, take the first left onto Pollock Road. Take the first right onto Fort Douglas Blvd. As you exit Fort Douglas, turn right onto Medical Drive. Take South Medical Drive all the way to the top and circle around the University of Utah Hospital complex (you will end up riding on a small road between the University Hospital and the Huntsman Cancer Institute) onto Circle of Hope Drive. Follow Circle of Hope Drive left as it transitions into North Campus Drive, then take the first right onto Federal Heights Drive. Turn right onto Alta Street, which wraps you up and over to Virginia Street. Take a right on Virginia Street and then a quick left onto 11th Ave. Follow 11th Ave all the way to Bonneville Blvd. Turn right onto Bonneville Blvd. and then right on City Creek Canyon Road.
5. Climb City Creek Canyon to the top (Rotary Park). Descend the canyon SLOWLY AND SAFELY! As you exit the canyon, turn right onto Bonneville Blvd. Follow Bonneville Blvd. until it intersects East Capitol Blvd. Turn left onto East Capitol Blvd. and descend down to the finish line!