Lester A. Perry
For 40 years, Mr. Perry has specialized in representing lenders, creditor’s rights in bankruptcy and businesses in banking, finance, real property and commercial litigation. For the past 24 years, Mr. Perry has also represented consumers in class actions for consumer claims in the areas of collection agencies, credit reporting, identity theft, buyers clubs, post-dated check outlets.
- Hoole & King, 2002-current
- Kesler & Rust, 1991-2001
- Woodbury, Jensen, Kesler & Swinton, 1988-1991
- Kirton & McConkie, 1981-1987
- Burnett & Perry, 1979-1981
Mr. Perry has handled some of the largest consumer protection class actions in Utah. He has also handled substantial commercial litigation between businesses.
- Utah Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
- University of Utah College of Law, Juris Doctor, 1979
- University of Utah, Masters of Business Administration, 1977
- University of Utah, Bachelor of Science, cum laude, 1975
- Business Organization. The development of the type of organization is important to a business for many reasons: taxation, liability protection, ownership, and organizational harmony. Our attorneys are experienced in these areas and sensitive to the needs of business owners. To learn more about these services, contact Lester A. Perry and Paul M. King.
- Financial Institutions. The needs of financial institutions are many and varied. Such institutions face challenges with regulatory agencies, employees, debtors, bankruptcy courts, and civil litigation. Our firm has the experience to effectively handle these challenges. To learn more about these services, contact Lester A. Perry.
- Consumer protection. One of the greatest challenges of our generation is the need for a level playing field when consumers have been defrauded or otherwise must deal with well funded large corporations and financial institutions. Lester A. Perry has been fighting for the consumer for 25 years. He has successfully prosecuted a dozen consumer class actions and has almost two dozen successful appellate decisions on behalf of consumers. He has taught the federal consumer protection/class action class at the University of Utah College of Law.
- Real Estate – The most valuable asset owned by families and businesses is often real estate. Our firm is experienced in the acquisition and transfer of real estate, the use of real estate to secure loans and agreements, the foreclosure of real property collateral, and the protection of creditor’s rights in real property tied up in bankruptcy. To learn more about these services, contact Lester A. Perry and Paul M. King
- Utah Trial Lawyers Association
- National Association of Consumer Advocates
- National Consumer Law Center
Recent Reported Cases
- Federated Capital Corp. v. Libby, 2016 UT 41, 384 P.3d 221
- Federated Capital Corp v. Haner, 2015 UT App 132, 351 P.3d 816.
- Federated Capital Corp. v. Shaw, -P.3d-, 2018 WL 3083242
- Federated Capital Corp. v. Deutsch, -P.3d-, 2018 WL 3083750
- Federated Capital Corp. v. Nazar, -P.3d-, 2018 WL 3082967
- Federated Capital Corp. v. Abraham, -P.3d-, 2018 WL 3083725
- Nelson v. Liberty Acquisitions Servicing LLC, 2016 UT App 92, 374 P.3d 27
- Nelson v. Liberty Acquisitions Servicing LLC, 2016 Ut App 92, -P3d-, 2016 WL 4699208
- Ditty v. CheckRite, 973 F. Supp. 1320 (D. Ut. 1997) – 79,000 member class
- Ditty v. CheckRite, 182 F.R.D. 639 (D. Ut. 1998)
- Johnson v. Riddle, 305 F.3d 1107 (10th Cir. 2002)
- Haymond v. Bonneville Billing and Collections, Inc., 216 F.3d. 1087 (10th Cir. 1998)
Mr. Perry was born in Salt Lake City, Utah on October 8, 1951. He has been married to his high school sweetheart, Janet E. Haycock, for 32 years. They have since acquired six wonderful children, four girls and two boys accompanied with three great sons-in-law. Mr. Perry’s passions include snow skiing with his family in the winter and golfing with his boys in the summer.